A portion of Schouweiler Road will be closing all next week as the Washington State Department of Transportation upgrades the intersection to Highway 12.
The WSDOT tells KXRO that the goal of the work is to improve traffic flow and reduce the potential for collisions near Elma at the exit.
Schouweiler Road will be closed from US 12 to the Schouweiler Tract Road for all traffic from 10 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 18 through the morning of Friday, Sept. 23.
Crews will be building new ‘deceleration and acceleration lanes” on westbound US 12.
Public feedback prompted WSDOT to take another look at a fourth option to improve the intersection.
Drivers are advised to use alternate routes during the five-day closure.
All lanes of US 12 will remain open.
Proposed intersection improvements
- builds a 600-foot long deceleration lane for westbound US 12 drivers exiting onto northbound Schouweiler Road;
- builds an 1,100-foot long acceleration lane for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers merging onto eastbound US 12;
- builds an 1,100-foot long acceleration lane for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers merging onto westbound US 12;
- doubles the length of the existing eastbound US 12 deceleration lane for drivers turning into northbound Schouweiler Road; and
- enhances roadway lighting at the intersection.
- Increase sight distances for drivers.
- Enhance drivers’ ability to reach highway speeds before merging onto the highway.
- Reduce congestion for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers turning onto eastbound US 12.
For more on the improvements, visit the project site at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/us12/schouweilerrdimprove/