After cancelling on December 1 due to rain, the Washington Department of Transportation will be working on Schouweiler Road and Highway 12 today if the weather cooperates.
Drivers who use the Schouweiler Road between US 12 and Schouweiler Tract Road West will need to use alternate routes as crews complete striping and other intersection improvements.
While the work is taking place, the median at the intersection will close.
Today’s closure is expected to last through the afternoon commute
- Schouweiler Road between US 12 and Schouweiler Tract Road West will close to all traffic.
- Drivers on westbound US 12 will not be allowed to turn right onto Schouweiler Road.
- Drivers on eastbound US 12 will not be able to turn left onto Schouweiler Road.
Drivers also will encounter single-lane closures in both directions of US 12 near Schouweiler Road.
The work is weather-dependent and could be rescheduled.
Why is WSDOT planning changes to the intersection of US 12 and the Schouweiler Road?
US 12 is a key east-west route for residents, freight, and tourists traveling in Grays Harbor County. In the vicinity of the Schouweiler Road intersection, US 12 averages 20,000 vehicles a day.
WSDOT worked with the community to solicit feedback on how to help reduce the potential for collisions at this intersection and improve traffic flow.
The End Result
Crews built new acceleration and deceleration lanes which benefits drivers on both Schouweiler Road and US 12. Crews also expanded the existing eastbound US 12 deceleration lane for drivers turning into northbound Schouweiler Road. In addition, crews also enhanced roadway lighting at the intersection.
WSDOT constructed the final plan for the intersection based on collision analysis, feedback received from the community, and available project funds.
The goal of this project is to improve traffic flow and reduce the potential for collisions.
What is the project timeline?
- Winter 2016/Spring 2016: Following community feedback and review of safety data, WSDOT will identify improvements and will select the final plan for the intersection.
- Summer 2016: Project advertised for competitive bidding.
- July 2016 – Project awarded to Rognlin’s Inc.