The Washington State Department of Transportation announced that starting at 7 am on Friday, October 28, Highway 12 will be down to a single lane in both directions near Elma for the entire day.
Along with lane closures, the median will be closed at Schouweiler Road as crews continue improvements on the intersection. Drivers on Schouweiler Road will not be able to turn left to and from US 12. Instead they will be limited to making right turns only at the intersection.
The temporary closures will allow crews from Rognlin’s to complete the project to add new deceleration and acceleration lanes .
This project continues the work started in September to improve the intersection.
Proposed intersection improvements
- builds a 600-foot long deceleration lane for westbound US 12 drivers exiting onto northbound Schouweiler Road;
- builds an 1,100-foot long acceleration lane for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers merging onto eastbound US 12;
- builds an 1,100-foot long acceleration lane for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers merging onto westbound US 12;
- doubles the length of the existing eastbound US 12 deceleration lane for drivers turning into northbound Schouweiler Road; and
- enhances roadway lighting at the intersection.
- Increase sight distances for drivers.
- Enhance drivers’ ability to reach highway speeds before merging onto the highway.
- Reduce congestion for southbound Schouweiler Road drivers turning onto eastbound US 12.
Project web page: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/US12/schouweilerrdimprove/